The Steering Committee is ZIPAR's board which provides leadership and supervision of the Institute’s affairs. Various constituencies are represented on the Committee including:
- The Economic and Finance department at the Ministry of Finance;
- The Ministry of Commerce, Trade and Industry;
- The Policy Analysis and Coordinating Division,
- The Bank of Zambia;
- The Zambia Chamber of Commerce and Industry;
- The Economics Association of Zambia;
- The Department of Economics at the University of Zambia;
- The Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants and
- Civil Society.
Government ministries represented by Permanent Secretaries while other institutions are represented by their respective heads. The Committee is chaired by the Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Finance, while ZIPAR's Executive Director, a non-voting member, is Secretary.
Three sub-committees act on behalf of the Steering Committee:
- The Finance and Administration Sub-Committee examines, provides advice and makes recommendations on all the financial and administrative implications of proposed resolutions that concern programme budgets.
- The Audit and Risk Sub-Committee examines, provides advice and makes recommendations related to the Financial Report, audited financial statements, the report of the External Auditor and any other audit or risk matters that the Board deems appropriate.
- The Technical Sub-Committee has overall responsibility for ensuring that all research, policy analysis and capacity building and all advocacy and dissemination programmes of the Institute are relevant, technically sound and of high quality, taking into account ZIPAR’s mission and objectives.